Forward Thinking, Media-Minded
Welcome to Michigan Learning Channel LABS. LABS is a digital community and resource hub for Michigan educators to Learn and Build Statewide alongside the Michigan Learning Channel team. Our LABS spaces include opportunities to network, share resources and tips, offer feedback and ideas, support new production and content development, and spread the word about MLC initiatives and materials.
Joining MLC LABS is a commitment to celebrating yourself, your students, and your community. We invite teachers, coaches, and education professionals for preschool through high school to join our growing cohort of educators who believe in the power of media.
What LABS Educators Do
- Use Michigan Learning Channel and PBS resources in your classroom.
- Take an active role in our online community (through our educator blog, our Facebook group, and our social media chats) to share your expertise with others around the state.
- Consider sharing the lessons that you create which leverage media to meet learning goals.
- Consider sharing media that your students create in response to PBS content or for other projects that you design.
What LABS Educators Get
- A free welcome kit full of exclusive educational materials to get students analyzing and creating visual media.
- Ongoing communication about new content and resources from the Michigan Learning Channel and PBS.
- Media-focused opportunities for student voice and project-based learning in your classroom.
- Access to media producers and experts who can support student creators.
- Opportunities to collaborate on new content and teaching resources.
LABS Learning Projects
We periodically issue new projects with prompts that give students an active role in creating and analyzing media. Teach journalism and reporting skills with local interest and storytelling projects, learn about history with projects launched in tandem with major PBS series and documentaries, and learn what goes into making film and TV content with our video production challenges.
What is Public Media?
Public media changes the way classrooms and students get access to high-quality educational materials. The Michigan Learning Channel has been providing free public media resources from PBS stations across the country for over a year, and we’ve heard from teachers across Michigan asking to be part of the movement. Learn more about public media on the Corporation for Public Broadcasting website.
Are You Ready to Join the Community?
Joining MLC LABS means you are excited about using public media in your classroom to engage, educate, and inspire. You’ll be the first to hear about our upcoming opportunities and you’ll have direct access to our statewide team of education and public media experts for support.